hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 165 of 171 FirstFirst ... 65115155162163164165166167168 ... LastLast
Results 3,281 to 3,300 of 3418

Thread: Star trek!

  1. #3281

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Embracing Mediocrity
    Posts
    3,132
    Imagine living in this parallel universe. From the wiki,

    Years later, after the release of Star Trek Generations, Rick Berman admitted that if he had known in 1989 that they would be making TNG movies in the 1990s, he would have kept "Yesterday's Enterprise" for the first TNG feature film.

  2. #3282
    dzajic's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 15, 2011
    Posts
    3,792
    Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    I think they probably wanted or were tasked to go for a "cinematic experience" instead of being unable to do anything "sci fi". Should be easy to check, I did a very superficial search and there was a mix of mainstream tv writers and writers with explicit Star Trek experience (as in novel authors and staff with previous star trek tv credits) listed in what I found.
    Isn't that the way all media content that is planned to earn serious money is created these days? You get a bunch of corporate people who have no knowledge of original IP (even if its a sequel to something already done by same studio/production house) and they do market analysis and find currently popular tropes to fill in the game/movie/episode...
    Last edited by dzajic; October 16 2020 at 02:43:09 PM.

  3. #3283
    GeromeDoutrande's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Fakefrenchistan
    Posts
    3,075
    I don't think that a lot of "tropes" were involved when developing Discovery. The pitch was pretty obviously "we pick up the nutrek audience from the movies and as many old trekkies as we can in addition to that". Which seems fine unless of course you hate the nutrek movies, which I gather most of you do.

  4. #3284
    Paradox's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 24, 2011
    Location
    Deepest Darkest Devonshire
    Posts
    8,688
    Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    I don't think that a lot of "tropes" were involved when developing Discovery. The pitch was pretty obviously "we pick up the nutrek audience from the movies and as many old trekkies as we can in addition to that". Which seems fine unless of course you hate the nutrek movies, which I gather most of you do.
    I only hate Into Darkness but I hate Discovery more because it's just as bad but much much longer


    Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

  5. #3285
    Totally Not Larkonnis's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25, 2012
    Posts
    1,596
    Quote Originally Posted by Boltorano View Post
    Imagine living in this parallel universe. From the wiki,

    Years later, after the release of Star Trek Generations, Rick Berman admitted that if he had known in 1989 that they would be making TNG movies in the 1990s, he would have kept "Yesterday's Enterprise" for the first TNG feature film.
    The kino to challenge TWOK that never was...


  6. #3286
    Shaftoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Ships
    Posts
    1,946
    I liked the first Discovery episode. They are doing some really cool stuff that actually advances the Star Trek canon.

    I do have to admit the strong Star Wars vibes though.

  7. #3287
    Jack Coutu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 9, 2011
    Location
    marketjacker
    Posts
    1,664
    Duet was fun, on to season 2. I have vague memories of some of this stuff since my mom was big into TNG and DS9, but at the time I was strictly a Star Wars kid because kids are dumb.

  8. #3288
    Totally Not Larkonnis's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25, 2012
    Posts
    1,596
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Coutu View Post
    Duet was fun, on to season 2. I have vague memories of some of this stuff since my mom was big into TNG and DS9, but at the time I was strictly a Star Wars kid because kids are dumb.
    This post makes no sense... Drugs or autism?


  9. #3289
    Phrixus Zephyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Queenstown, NZ
    Posts
    3,641
    Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    I don't think that a lot of "tropes" were involved when developing Discovery. The pitch was pretty obviously "we pick up the nutrek audience from the movies and as many old trekkies as we can in addition to that". Which seems fine unless of course you hate the nutrek movies, which I gather most of you do.
    This is always the argument but I don't mind the newer films for the most part and I would have no problem with a flashy new series.

    The problem I have is the shit writing. Both Discovery and Picard have plots that make no fucking sense and take a huge dump on established canon to do it.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

  10. #3290
    Ruri's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Exclamation, USA
    Posts
    2,406
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrixus Zephyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    I don't think that a lot of "tropes" were involved when developing Discovery. The pitch was pretty obviously "we pick up the nutrek audience from the movies and as many old trekkies as we can in addition to that". Which seems fine unless of course you hate the nutrek movies, which I gather most of you do.
    This is always the argument but I don't mind the newer films for the most part and I would have no problem with a flashy new series.

    The problem I have is the shit writing. Both Discovery and Picard have plots that make no fucking sense and take a huge dump on established canon to do it.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    If we're honest the writing in '09 and Into Darkness are at least as horrible and nonsensical and cannon-destroying as Disco and Picard are. Like really sit down and write out the plot of '09 and then read it back. It's wall to wall stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.

  11. #3291
    Paradox's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 24, 2011
    Location
    Deepest Darkest Devonshire
    Posts
    8,688
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruri View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrixus Zephyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    I don't think that a lot of "tropes" were involved when developing Discovery. The pitch was pretty obviously "we pick up the nutrek audience from the movies and as many old trekkies as we can in addition to that". Which seems fine unless of course you hate the nutrek movies, which I gather most of you do.
    This is always the argument but I don't mind the newer films for the most part and I would have no problem with a flashy new series.

    The problem I have is the shit writing. Both Discovery and Picard have plots that make no fucking sense and take a huge dump on established canon to do it.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    If we're honest the writing in '09 and Into Darkness are at least as horrible and nonsensical and cannon-destroying as Disco and Picard are. Like really sit down and write out the plot of '09 and then read it back. It's wall to wall stupid.
    At least it takes place in a different reality


    Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

  12. #3292
    VARRAKK's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 27, 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    7,031
    I watched the season 3 premiere yesterday.
    Normally I'm fine with whatever, I don't care about pure Trek vs nutrek.

    But this was the worst garbage I have ever seen!
    There is no way to recover from this fucked up story/time line.
    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

  13. #3293
    GeromeDoutrande's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Fakefrenchistan
    Posts
    3,075
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrixus Zephyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    I don't think that a lot of "tropes" were involved when developing Discovery. The pitch was pretty obviously "we pick up the nutrek audience from the movies and as many old trekkies as we can in addition to that". Which seems fine unless of course you hate the nutrek movies, which I gather most of you do.
    This is always the argument but I don't mind the newer films for the most part and I would have no problem with a flashy new series.

    The problem I have is the shit writing. Both Discovery and Picard have plots that make no fucking sense and take a huge dump on established canon to do it.
    Just to note that my post was in response to the idea that the show was developed based on "market analysis and currently popular tropes" (of course there certainly was a lot of market analysis involved), so about how they decided to make this nutrekkie type of show, and not the result that they ended up with. I think the series is overall watchable and some episodes I'd even say are good, but I also have a long list of items for the show that really should have been better.

  14. #3294
    GeromeDoutrande's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Fakefrenchistan
    Posts
    3,075
    ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Season 4 Happening at CBS All Access, Filming Starts Next Month
    https://www.slashfilm.com/star-trek-discovery-season-4/

  15. #3295
    Movember 2012 Zekk Pacus's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    7,982
    Season 1 was decent verging on good once you got over the spore drive - they never wrote themselves out of that satisfactorily. Season 2 was meh verging on bad, especially the second half.

    I watched the first episode of season 3 and I'm content enough to give it a couple more to see where they go with it. At least now it's set in a new time and place, and isn't a prequel.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

  16. #3296
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    6,178
    Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    Season 1 was decent verging on good once you got over the spore drive - they never wrote themselves out of that satisfactorily. Season 2 was meh verging on bad, especially the second half.

    I watched the first episode of season 3 and I'm content enough to give it a couple more to see where they go with it. At least now it's set in a new time and place, and isn't a prequel.
    Right, but I’m pretty sure they’re still on a splinter timeline.

  17. #3297
    Takeshi Nuwen's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    37
    So Discovery season 3 basically is Andromeda?

  18. #3298

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    1,321
    Quote Originally Posted by Takeshi Nuwen View Post
    So Discovery season 3 basically is Andromeda?
    Without Kevin Sorbo this might actualy be a good thing.

  19. #3299

    Join Date
    May 31, 2011
    Posts
    5,422
    It indeed has a strong Andromeda vibe to it, which I find quite interesting. I've read somewhere the Gene Roddenberry had Andromeda invented/envisioned as a ST's Federation-gone-bad. I don't mind ST:D borrowing that. I liked Andromeda. So if ST:D turns into a better funded/produced Andromeda, sign me up.

  20. #3300

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Embracing Mediocrity
    Posts
    3,132
    I thought Picard was "Federation gone bad".

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •