hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 171 of 175 FirstFirst ... 71121161168169170171172173174 ... LastLast
Results 3,401 to 3,420 of 3493

Thread: Star trek!

Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    9 minutes of mouthbreathing, and the comments are full of people who don't like Disco because it's too 'SJWey'.

All those vidoes do is teach me that a lot of people have misunderstood Star Trek.

Discovery has issues, but jesus christ if these people don't make me wanna keep on watching it.
    Wait, what?

Star Trek is meant to be SJWey. It always has been.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodj Blake View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    9 minutes of mouthbreathing, and the comments are full of people who don't like Disco because it's too 'SJWey'.

All those vidoes do is teach me that a lot of people have misunderstood Star Trek.

Discovery has issues, but jesus christ if these people don't make me wanna keep on watching it.
    Wait, what?

Star Trek is meant to be SJWey. It always has been.
    It's literally the point of it.

But I guess the younger generation of righties wants to reclaim the show somehow. Or just doesn't understand the thing they're screeching about, like they usually do.

I enjoyed e04 the most so far.

Spoiler:

I will say that the love story part of the walked all over the line between romantic and vom-inducing over the top. A pass was given as this is supposed to be teenage love. So I can sort of accept it.

I would like to see an episode where the ol' starfleet ultra purist federation vision causes a lot of harm to a third party. Maybe picking up the candle of "it is possible to do everything right, and still lose." Maybe even presenting an unethical move on the back of some big payout ethical wins that fucks them over later. But, writing that out, it feels like the bar is so low yet so unachievable? lol

The entire premise is dumb. Symbiosis is supposed to be two species that evolved to coexist, not that you can just shoehorn in any old humanoid because bad writing.

How low is the bar that vision quest trope is considered passable?

Fucking nothing happened in this episode besides soap opera.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Phrixus Zephyr View Post
    Did you watch Disco at all before this? Besides, "vision quest" isn't really the problem, Picard had a vision quest when an alien probe zapped his brain and that was one of the best episodes of anything ever. The problem is doing it well, and in this instance sure it was a little hackneyed but I think Disco did it passably, which just clears the low bar the rest of the series has set.

Episode 5: I think the pattern is established now, a decent-to-okayish premise, overblown and overlong dramatic dialog scenes, one or two things that make you go "oh neat" and one or two things that make you go "wtf were they thinking?" Not an improvement from ep. 4, but not a step back either.

Spoiler:
    For instance, I like the idea of Starfleet basically holing up in a half-organic space distortion field and the way that objects and even entire locations change form to suit the needs of the moment is a properly futuristic idea. But the entire scene of them flying into dock with all the dumb side-comments and masturbatory "OH LOOK ITS A THING THE AUDIENCE WILL REMEMBER AND CLAP FOR" Voyager cameo made me gag. Also stop showing us shots of the blond lieutenant lady that make it seem like we should know her, it feels like they made a character with a bunch of scenes at like the end of the series, and they think they need to keep inserting her so the audience isn't surprised when she turns out to be relevant. It's just fucking weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruri View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrixus Zephyr View Post
    Did you watch Disco at all before this? Besides, "vision quest" isn't really the problem, Picard had a vision quest when an alien probe zapped his brain and that was one of the best episodes of anything ever. The problem is doing it well, and in this instance sure it was a little hackneyed but I think Disco did it passably, which just clears the low bar the rest of the series has set.

Episode 5: I think the pattern is established now, a decent-to-okayish premise, overblown and overlong dramatic dialog scenes, one or two things that make you go "oh neat" and one or two things that make you go "wtf were they thinking?" Not an improvement from ep. 4, but not a step back either.

Spoiler:
    For instance, I like the idea of Starfleet basically holing up in a half-organic space distortion field and the way that objects and even entire locations change form to suit the needs of the moment is a properly futuristic idea. But the entire scene of them flying into dock with all the dumb side-comments and masturbatory "OH LOOK ITS A THING THE AUDIENCE WILL REMEMBER AND CLAP FOR" Voyager cameo made me gag. Also stop showing us shots of the blond lieutenant lady that make it seem like we should know her, it feels like they made a character with a bunch of scenes at like the end of the series, and they think they need to keep inserting her so the audience isn't surprised when she turns out to be relevant. It's just fucking weird.
    IIRC the blonde lieutenant is the actress who originally played the robot lieutenant but she dropped out of the role becase she reacted badly to the make up so maybe there's some contractual obligations or something with regards to screen time?

Now that you mentioned it ... what happened to that droid?

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Now that you mentioned it ... what happened to that droid?
      Spoiler:
    Died last season. Went bad and got spaced.
    Last edited by Shaikar; November 14 2020 at 01:27:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cucaldvida View Post
    ...suck on the devices of the callow people...

I'd like to know Ensign Daft Punk's backstory

Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post
    I'd like to know Ensign Daft Punk's backstory

Memory Alpha to the rescue:

Bridge officer 2

A bridge crewmember

This female crewmember wore a helmet on the bridge of the Shenzhou, her headgear stenciled with the ship's name on the wearer's left side at bottom. Serving at the auxiliary tactical station during the Battle of the Binary Stars, she was injured when her console exploded. Two crewmembers assisted her from the bridge. (DIS: "The Vulcan Hello", "Battle at the Binary Stars")

This crewman was portrayed by Paulina Miel. A crewmember with the same helmet is later seen walking the corridors of the USS De Milo.
    The novel Desperate Hours identifies the character as Ensign Jira Narwani, a junior tactical officer, and calls her headpiece a tactical helmet. The video "A-Z Glossary" from the official Discovery Twitter account also refers to this character as Narwani. [1]
    The character's helmet was created by prop maker WKFX, who referred to the character as "Snail Girl". [2]
    In Star Trek Online, players can purchase a bridge officer named Marta Okataya, who has a helmet identical to the one worn by this character. [3]
    nevar forget

Clearly not a tactical helmet, it's got no laserpointer duct-taped on.

Is it now? It will start getting good when literally everything stops depending on Michael. Every other character in episode 2 was either crying over how Michael is all alone and they cannot help her or when they reunited, how they can help and what she wants to do next. This show should be called "Michael and the simps". This is not Star Trek.

Quote Originally Posted by Candy Crush View Post
    Is it now? It will start getting good when literally everything stops depending on Michael. Every other character in episode 2 was either crying over how Michael is all alone and they cannot help her or when they reunited, how they can help and what she wants to do next. This show should be called "Michael and the simps". This is not Star Trek.
    This is still Star Trek: Michael Burnham
    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

Which is totally unaccaptable, just imagine the series originally would have started off as Star Trek: James T. Kirk ...

/s

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they at some point in the last season decide that using the 'shroom drive was unethical because it was killing off 'shrooms or something? So why are they now using it at every opportunity?

Anyway, what saved Ep 5 can be summed up in two words:

Spoiler:
    DAVID CRONENBERG

Quote Originally Posted by Rodj Blake View Post
    Now correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they at some point in the last season decide that using the 'shroom drive was unethical because it was killing off 'shrooms or something? So why are they now using it at every opportunity?

Anyway, what saved Ep 5 can be summed up in two words:

Spoiler:
    DAVID CRONENBERG
    They did, and officially that (and the genetic engineering of people required to use the thing) is why it died and so was never seen in TOS etc.

However they then found out that that damage was actually down to the Terrans draining the network like it was going out of fashion and the doctor being a spooky ghost wandering around it and fucking it up as he did so. (You know, when he died but before he got better...)

So in-universe there's actually nothing wrong with using the spore drive as long as you a) have one, b) have an appropriately engineered navigator and c) aren't doing silly things with it like powering a moon-ship with a portable sun because you're the Emperor and shut up.

Getting either of the first has ethical issues, but as Discovery already has both and is now clear of the other series... v0v

(Yes, it's a bit bollocks.)
    Last edited by Shaikar; November 20 2020 at 12:49:09 AM.

Episode 6: To Modestly And Mostly Competently Go Where Every Scifi / Action Show Has Gone Before.

Some nice shots / transitions at least, I think the director was trying to do something interesting, with the most predictable hack basic bitch script I think I've ever seen filmed. Like, Sweet Jesus. The only surprise is that they threw away a plot development from two episodes ago that apparently changed nothing at all, gg wp.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.

Saru's definitely the Star Trek captain with the worst judgement when it comes to first officers.

The thing is the rest of the crew just hasn't been developed at all and this is a criticism of Disco I'll get on board with. The main three have, but everyone else drifts in and out as required by the plot.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'