hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 168 of 171 FirstFirst ... 68118158165166167168169170171 LastLast
Results 3,341 to 3,360 of 3418

Thread: Star trek!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruri View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post
      Spoiler:
    Did catch the obvious (on-screen) reunion but not sure how we got there, or if was introduced in a good way, again need to re-watch the last 20min or so.
    It wasn't, everything this show does is either 200% predictable and telegraphed or so stupid that no one in their right mind would have expected a professional to write it.

My Big New List of Stupid Fucking Things This Show Has Done So Far:

Spoiler:
    5. Why is everyone on Disco acting shocked by seeing "new" technology that's really just an outgrowth of tech they've grown up with? "Wow I would never have guessed that transporters would be shrunk down to be personal after 1,000 years of further development." There's nothing futuristic about this future at all, it's just different shaped ships and lasers. What a fucking wasted opportunity.

6. The fucking Stormtrooper Syndrome on those assholes holy fucking shit. Like, I get that you can't really kill off your lead characters in the first episode of the season, but that whole sequence was just comically dumb.

7. "Close your eyes." Proceeds to open eyes and watch entire scene with no consequences. Cool story.

8. Again, Tilly is watching someone basically do what a replicator does, just with a sonic screwdriver, and she's somehow amazed by this. Why. Why?

9. So let's spend an entire whole episode establishing how upstandingly moral and righteous and Starfleet Saru is, then try to hang all the dramatic tension in the final scene on whether or not he'll shoot a random ship that came to save them like is anyone in charge of this story? At all?
    Man, you were not kidding!

Yes, and let me add on. This almost made me physically gag.
      Spoiler:
    1. Rotate close ups on all pichachu surprise faces when Mike turns up. One would have been plenty.
    2. "o-em-g u-guys. Its been SOO long! I've been waiting/searching ALL. THIS. TIME!"

Proceeds to say 1 year. 12 fucking months? REALLY?! "ALL THIS TIME"??! Get the fuck out!
    You could have said 12 YEARS and it barely would have warranted that emotional level/lip quivering dialog.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

it's gonna be a long season
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.

Have you lot considered not watching things you don't like? I hear it frees up time for things you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by El Capitano View Post
    Have you lot considered not watching things you don't like? I hear it frees up time for things you do like.
    Watching/reading people complain about things you don't like (and don't watch) can be very entertaining though.

Also Mike from RLM considers TNG's "Remember Me" a guilty pleasure. That's always been one of my favorite 'bad' episodes too.

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    Lol

Butthole
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    anything soviet is of evil

Is that.. an expressionist rendition of Mike gazing drunkenly into the void?

The internet truly is a magical place.

Spoiler:

8. Again, Tilly is watching someone basically do what a replicator does, just with a sonic screwdriver, and she's somehow amazed by this. Why. Why?
    There's lots of valid criticism for Discovery, but this isn't:
      Spoiler:
    The Discovery is a ship from the 2250s and we didn't see replicators until TNG, which happens in the 2360s. If we're being generous, then Tilly may be familiar with food synthesizers, but not full on replicators, let alone ones that print shit from a pen. Plus she's a super nerd, she'd find it cool just because.
    nevar forget

Who said I didnt like it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
      Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    The Discovery is a ship from the 2250s and we didn't see replicators until TNG, which happens in the 2360s. If we're being generous, then Tilly may be familiar with food synthesizers, but not full on replicators, let alone ones that print shit from a pen. Plus she's a super nerd, she'd find it cool just because.
    I mean, she participated in the "building" of Burnham's Iron Man suit which was literally building it by firing lasers that were creating the physical parts with what can only be described as replicator technology. Potato, potatoe ~

In case it wasn't clear by now, I love hating NuTrek. The only thing that would make me happier is if it stopped sucking complete ass. Like, ok you're not that concerned with Trek canon, but at least have a coherent story, can we start by clearing that low bar please.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.

Why not spend the time you have on actual good shows, if this one is so bad?

autism

In case it wasn't clear by now, I love hating NuTrek. The only thing that would make me happier is if it stopped sucking complete ass. Like, ok you're not that concerned with Trek canon, but at least have a coherent story, can we start by clearing that low bar please.
    At this point it's 2 seasons and you're 2 episodes into the third, which likely sets the tone and style of the rest of that season. If you don't like it by now, there's a very good chance you won't ever. At this point, it's been 20 years since they made anything you like, that may indicate it's time to move on.

the attention distribution bias towards bad things is an evolved survival trait. it was originally there so we kept an eye on those sneaky fucking hyena's in the distance, it gets a bit confused in a modern context so we end up getting captivated by shit star trek and Trump instead. just pretend Ruri is the dude in our tribe that is keeping an eye on the shitty star trek in the distance so the rest of the tribe can continue humping each other in safety.

There are a million other cool shows to watch that are "bad" but won't make a pile of shit out of something you love. It's not like the last seasons of GoT were you had invested time and then it went to shit, its a show that is just bad and the more you watch it the longer it'll last lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiodome View Post
    the attention distribution bias towards bad things is an evolved survival trait. it was originally there so we kept an eye on those sneaky fucking hyena's in the distance, it gets a bit confused in a modern context so we end up getting captivated by shit star trek and Trump instead. just pretend Ruri is the dude in our tribe that is keeping an eye on the shitty star trek in the distance so the rest of the tribe can continue humping each other in safety.
    I... I like this explanation.

Ruri o7 Your sacrifice will be remembered.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    I mean, she participated in the "building" of Burnham's Iron Man suit which was literally building it by firing lasers that were creating the physical parts with what can only be described as replicator technology. Potato, potatoe ~

Unfortunately the real-world existence of multimedia 3D printers sort of forces a bump in the timeline re: replicator tech, etc.

But recall in TOS Patterns of Force, they are able to magic Nazi uniforms out of the ship’s library computer; presumably even the 1960s version of the 2260s Enterprise had something like a replicator or fancy 3D printer (photonic molecular deposition or some handwavium like that).

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
      Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Unfortunately the real-world existence of multimedia 3D printers sort of forces a bump in the timeline re: replicator tech, etc.

But recall in TOS Patterns of Force, they are able to magic Nazi uniforms out of the ship’s library computer; presumably even the 1960s version of the 2260s Enterprise had something like a replicator or fancy 3D printer (photonic molecular deposition or some handwavium like that).
    Given it was TOS, I always kind of assumed there was a seamtress department somewhere.

Also in TOS there are references to both food synthesisers existing, and there being a galley on board.
    Which you could head canon into something akin to food cartridges, but it's still a long way off replicators.
    Quote Originally Posted by cucaldvida View Post
    ...suck on the devices of the callow people...

I think there’s room for tech between mechanical-deposition 3D printers that we know today, and direct energy-to-matter conversion of a replicator. Also let’s recall that a replicator is basically a hacked transporter beaming stored patterns into existence. If transporters exist, replicators aren’t too far behind.

All the replication/printing scenes in Disco look like nanoassembly or some other mechanical process to me.

As for the idea of a seamstress on the TOS enterprise... did they have a haberdasher and cobbler as well? To say nothing of a jeweler and smith to make all the buckles and insignia and whatnot? It’s not a very big crew. More likely to find artisans on the Enterprise-D.
    Last edited by Lachesis VII; October 24 2020 at 07:06:18 PM.

If the plot required it...

I mean this is the show series with the high explosive screens and which routinely discovers or develops incredible new advances, only to promptly lose them down the back of the sofa, so lets not limit our imaginations unnecessarily.
    Quote Originally Posted by cucaldvida View Post
    ...suck on the devices of the callow people...

The inspiration for TOS Enterprise was ships of the US navy where there would be people on board who could fix uniforms if they were damaged, machinists to make parts etc.

Roddenberry was obsessed with naval things and wanted to make everything as shipshape as possible. TNG's cruise liner enterprise is kind of a deconstruction.

Shame the people making Discovery don't give a flying shit about any of it

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it