hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 566 of 570 FirstFirst ... 66466516556563564565566567568569 ... LastLast
Results 11,301 to 11,320 of 11381

Thread: Movie Thread - Cullnerd - Ad Astra is moon

  1. #11301
    Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    Posts
    17,333
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dzajic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    If James Gunn had written and directed the most recent Star Wars trilogy, they'd have been 1,000% better.

    Prove me wrong.
    Yes they would certainly be a 1 % better :P Maybe even 2% better.
    1000% of shit is still shit
    I disagree, both Guardian of the Galaxy films had exactly the "fun" vibe I still get from old school original Star Wars. A bit limited, due to the nature of comics vs. Space Opera, but I'd say a slightly more serious Gunn with his own pet writers, Directing his own versions of a Star Wars sequel trilogy, would have been a hell of alot of fun.
    Read anilhiation saga (where modern gauardians comes from and a healthy dose of thanks) and then tell me comics canít do space opera


    Butthole
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    anything soviet is of evil

  2. #11302

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    15,418
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dzajic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    If James Gunn had written and directed the most recent Star Wars trilogy, they'd have been 1,000% better.

    Prove me wrong.
    Yes they would certainly be a 1 % better :P Maybe even 2% better.
    1000% of shit is still shit
    I disagree, both Guardian of the Galaxy films had exactly the "fun" vibe I still get from old school original Star Wars. A bit limited, due to the nature of comics vs. Space Opera, but I'd say a slightly more serious Gunn with his own pet writers, Directing his own versions of a Star Wars sequel trilogy, would have been a hell of alot of fun.
    Read anilhiation saga (where modern gauardians comes from and a healthy dose of thanks) and then tell me comics can’t do space opera


    Butthole
    Sorry, wut?

    Who said comics can't do space opera?

    Legit confused at your reply and butthole comment tbqh.


  3. #11303

    Join Date
    November 30, 2014
    Posts
    199
    Instead of saying "Sent from my POS phone which brands every post I make" cullnean's posts say "Butthole"

    Which is interesting in it's own way.

  4. #11304
    Paradox's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 24, 2011
    Location
    Deepest Darkest Devonshire
    Posts
    8,684
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dzajic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    If James Gunn had written and directed the most recent Star Wars trilogy, they'd have been 1,000% better.

    Prove me wrong.
    Yes they would certainly be a 1 % better :P Maybe even 2% better.
    1000% of shit is still shit
    I disagree, both Guardian of the Galaxy films had exactly the "fun" vibe I still get from old school original Star Wars. A bit limited, due to the nature of comics vs. Space Opera, but I'd say a slightly more serious Gunn with his own pet writers, Directing his own versions of a Star Wars sequel trilogy, would have been a hell of alot of fun.
    Read anilhiation saga (where modern gauardians comes from and a healthy dose of thanks) and then tell me comics can’t do space opera


    Butthole
    Sorry, wut?

    Who said comics can't do space opera?

    Legit confused at your reply and butthole comment tbqh.
    The butthole is his tapatalk signature

    I don't know anything about comic space opera but personally I'm not sure that star wars or star trek fit with the modern style of hollywood film making now that we've seen so many bad versions of it in the last few years.

    Good for shitting out marvel films, bad for slow panning shots and atmospheric storytelling


    Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

  5. #11305
    GeromeDoutrande's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Fakefrenchistan
    Posts
    3,071

  6. #11306

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    15,418
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dzajic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    If James Gunn had written and directed the most recent Star Wars trilogy, they'd have been 1,000% better.

    Prove me wrong.
    Yes they would certainly be a 1 % better :P Maybe even 2% better.
    1000% of shit is still shit
    I disagree, both Guardian of the Galaxy films had exactly the "fun" vibe I still get from old school original Star Wars. A bit limited, due to the nature of comics vs. Space Opera, but I'd say a slightly more serious Gunn with his own pet writers, Directing his own versions of a Star Wars sequel trilogy, would have been a hell of alot of fun.
    Read anilhiation saga (where modern gauardians comes from and a healthy dose of thanks) and then tell me comics can’t do space opera


    Butthole
    Sorry, wut?

    Who said comics can't do space opera?

    Legit confused at your reply and butthole comment tbqh.
    The butthole is his tapatalk signature

    I don't know anything about comic space opera but personally I'm not sure that star wars or star trek fit with the modern style of hollywood film making now that we've seen so many bad versions of it in the last few years.

    Good for shitting out marvel films, bad for slow panning shots and atmospheric storytelling
    Ah, gotcha on the butthole thing.

    And yeah, sadly you most certainly could be right on your point re: "modern Hollywood", sadly. With that said, there have been some diamonds in the rough, albeit the nerdverse certainly didn't love them uniformly.


  7. #11307
    Dorvil Barranis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18, 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,990
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Am i alone in thinking spice eyes should be a bit tamer?
    You just aren't doing enough spice.
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang


  8. #11308

    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    6,036
    Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    More on it here - https://www.theguardian.com/film/202...ad-of-new-film

  9. #11309

    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    6,036
    Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Candy Crush View Post
    Spice works differently......

    .....side effects of Spice are explosive diarrhea, mental illness, hallucinations, interstellar warfare and instant sudden painful death.
    And in the extreme cases the desire to turn into a sandworm..
    It only happened the one time, so it's probably safe.

  10. #11310
    VARRAKK's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 27, 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    7,027
    Dune pushed back a year
    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

  11. #11311
    GeromeDoutrande's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Fakefrenchistan
    Posts
    3,071
    I understand why studios don't want to release films into an environment where Tenet ends up earning about half of what Interstellar did, but at some point they need to supply some viable product or there will be no cinemas left.

  12. #11312

    Join Date
    May 31, 2011
    Posts
    5,418
    If I'm not mistaken, studios already did release finished movies that were meant to be released-to-theaters to streaming services instead, as that's currently the only distribution channel to earn some (decent) bucks.

    I guess that crazy Hollywood licensing scheme with all kind of exclusives and restrictions per distribution channel/country/<whatever> now comes to bite them in their butts, as it might be hard to set up new deals (and earn money that way) without breaking their own retarded restrictions.

  13. #11313
    GeromeDoutrande's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Fakefrenchistan
    Posts
    3,071
    Mulan is the biggest movie that has been released straight to view on demand and made around 250 million USD. Some smaller movies have been licensed directly to streaming providers, usually those were films that would not have had a proper wide release.

    I'm not a big fan of windowing, channels and all that other wonderful stuff of the movie monetisation world either, but studios currently require box office revenues to be able to make large-scale movies. Streaming services will not sufficiently compensate for lost revenues or bankroll these movies themselves. Netflix has commissioned ten movies with a 50+ million budget over its entire existence. It is not easy to see where money to compensate for lost box office would come from.

  14. #11314

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Chair
    Posts
    6,806
    To be fair, Disney tried to charge double the ticket price (including Disney+ sub) to see the remake of their least remembered princess film & it didn't do so well in China, either, which was the whole point of making it. So it might not be the best example, even if the point is valid.

  15. #11315
    GeromeDoutrande's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Fakefrenchistan
    Posts
    3,071
    Counterpoint: The much-ridiculed and also not very good Aladdin remake grossed a billion USD at the box office.

    Also, Disney is probably best-placed to extract revenue from its captive audience (all parents) in the current environment of children at home almost all the time using its own streaming platform (and the "VOD ticket" is valid for the whole family, so in that sense not that expensive), at least for their old-school Disney content. Nobody else is in that position.

    A counterpoint to my counterpoint above would be that Disney gets to keep all of the VOD revenue as opposed to box office money.
    Last edited by GeromeDoutrande; October 6 2020 at 04:50:46 PM.

  16. #11316

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    15,418
    I was hoping "Black Widow" would be sent direct to streaming for an appropriate price. Would have happily paid for it to provide some Marvel movie fun this summer. But no, pushed back like so much else, to next year. Meh.


  17. #11317
    GeromeDoutrande's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Fakefrenchistan
    Posts
    3,071
    You'd need about 20 million households to spend 20 USD + tax on VOD each to get Black Widow to equal Doctor Strange numbers (which was a modest success on a similar budget).

  18. #11318

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    15,418
    Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    You'd need about 20 million households to spend 20 USD + tax on VOD each to get Black Widow to equal Doctor Strange numbers (which was a modest success on a similar budget).
    I understand the financials/economics.

    Still a bummer, man.


  19. #11319
    GeromeDoutrande's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Fakefrenchistan
    Posts
    3,071
    Let's make our own movie!

    You can be Black Widow.

  20. #11320
    Movember 2012 I Legionnaire's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    2,051
    Related, Regal Cinemas in the US is shutting down all their theaters.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •