hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 616 of 617 FirstFirst ... 116516566606613614615616617 LastLast
Results 12,301 to 12,320 of 12329

Thread: Movie Thread - Cullnerd - Ad Astra is moon

  1. #12301
    rufuske's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    4,503
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Begrudgingly saw Arrival last night, since it was leaving Prime Video in less than 2 hours and I really wanted to watch The Expanse instead. Really glad I saw it.
    Everything Villeneuve have done so far ranges from good to genius. You can't go wrong with any of his movies.

  2. #12302
    August's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 10, 2019
    Posts
    766
    Blade Runner sucks and Dune is meh.

  3. #12303
    NoirAvlaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Location
    Portugal, laaaa
    Posts
    6,438
    Quote Originally Posted by August View Post
    Blade Runner sucks and Dune is meh.
    mlyp
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Also that didn't sound like abloo bloo to me, PM me and we can agree on a meeting spot and settle this with queensberry rules, that's a serious offer btw. I've been a member of this community since 2005 and i've never met a more toxic individual.

  4. #12304
    Helen's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    4,190
    Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by August View Post
    Blade Runner sucks and Dune is meh.
    mlyp
    nice burn

  5. #12305

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    4,990
    Dune is meh, but Blade Runner? Fucking masterpiece, i dont know what you are smoking.

  6. #12306
    Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    Posts
    17,393
    Top gun was fucking ace, glad to see you are all still retarded as fuck round here
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    anything soviet is of evil

  7. #12307

    Join Date
    May 31, 2011
    Posts
    6,396
    Depending on how they unravel the story of why he decided to go dark ("The things you bury tend to haunt you."), this could be good.


  8. #12308
    Movember 2012 Elriche Oshego's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 21, 2011
    Posts
    8,385
    Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by August View Post
    The thing is, he does all that because Scientology told him he has special powers and he believed them.
    I have a different theory. It's a weird mix of fascination with physical performance to the tone of Buster Keaton and all his insane stunts, coupled with lifestyle/whatever induced dopamine receptor issues. For him it's either that or overdosing on whatever is popular to get that high in Hollywood nowadays. And he's been clean throughout his whole carrer. The whole scientology kerfuffle is a screaming analogy in my eyes of recovering alcoholics that face similiar neurological issues suddenly becoming extremly religious, finding jesus etc. Here's a fun exercise - go to your nearest aa meeting and see for yourself how prevalent religious motives are in there. He's a guy with a latent death wish, he's done all, can be all, do all etc. Only thing left in life to get that surge of dopamine is to push envelope even further. More dangerous and life threatening this is, the better. But all under the pretense and in service of entertainment and producing more and more elaborate set pieces and stunts. Another fun exercise - try to do meta analysis of this movie plot from that perspective. Include how well real Tom Cruise was able to stay romantically involved with his partners vs Maverick. Or his relationship with his children. For me this whole movie is screaming with meta motives to the tune of that. I'm almost sure when he's crying in the movie there's not much acting involved. Just an introspective look of a man that on a surface achieved everything.

    Guy on one hand is an everything every man aspires to be and on the other a cautionary tale where that road leads. He's a reverse to eg Johnny Depp averse. But it's still the same coin.
    Sir this is a Wendy's.

  9. #12309
    rufuske's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    4,503
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by August View Post
    The thing is, he does all that because Scientology told him he has special powers and he believed them.
    I have a different theory. It's a weird mix of fascination with physical performance to the tone of Buster Keaton and all his insane stunts, coupled with lifestyle/whatever induced dopamine receptor issues. For him it's either that or overdosing on whatever is popular to get that high in Hollywood nowadays. And he's been clean throughout his whole carrer. The whole scientology kerfuffle is a screaming analogy in my eyes of recovering alcoholics that face similiar neurological issues suddenly becoming extremly religious, finding jesus etc. Here's a fun exercise - go to your nearest aa meeting and see for yourself how prevalent religious motives are in there. He's a guy with a latent death wish, he's done all, can be all, do all etc. Only thing left in life to get that surge of dopamine is to push envelope even further. More dangerous and life threatening this is, the better. But all under the pretense and in service of entertainment and producing more and more elaborate set pieces and stunts. Another fun exercise - try to do meta analysis of this movie plot from that perspective. Include how well real Tom Cruise was able to stay romantically involved with his partners vs Maverick. Or his relationship with his children. For me this whole movie is screaming with meta motives to the tune of that. I'm almost sure when he's crying in the movie there's not much acting involved. Just an introspective look of a man that on a surface achieved everything.

    Guy on one hand is an everything every man aspires to be and on the other a cautionary tale where that road leads. He's a reverse to eg Johnny Depp averse. But it's still the same coin.
    Sir this is a Wendy's.
    Yeah, I know, I'm probably overthinking and overanalyzing with a healthy dose of projection involved. But still it struck a nerve. Which is something I never expect from the recent popcorn munching blockbusters. And it's a thing that should be acknowledged and cherished. It's a really good piece of pop cinema, on surface you have militaryfuckyeah picture but you don't need to peel a lot around it to also find a deeply human message, even if very basic, still very welcome. Even though it's attempts at pulling your heart string may, again, be extremely basic, they seem sincere.

    All in all, it's a great early summer movie.

  10. #12310
    Movember 2012 Elriche Oshego's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 21, 2011
    Posts
    8,385
    I thought the movie was fine and enjoyed it with my Brother. I would like to order another F/A-18.

    Memes aside it felt like Cruise wanted to make a personal tribute to Top Gun, which was nice. His action flicks are generally enjoyable.

  11. #12311
    Cosmin's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14, 2012
    Location
    Event Horizon
    Posts
    7,963
    Saw Prey. Astonishing. Finally a good Predator movie, I wasn't this interested since the first two (and to a lesser extent the 2010 Predators movie - holy shit it's been 12 years and that movie is still decent). There are a few inconsistencies but overall quite solid, 9/10 easy for me.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

  12. #12312

    Join Date
    July 3, 2014
    Posts
    6,099
    A much much better predator movie than the previous one. The biggest negative to the story is that the lead character is absolutely a Mary Sue. Scene after scene of other people telling her how great she is at everything, except for the scenes where the evil patriarchy are telling her how bad she is at one specific thing, and of course that thing you find out in the end she's also great at. IMO the reason why first movie was so successful was because we had jacked Arnold and his team of soldiers that looked like strongest that planet Earth can offer, and all of them were kind of harmless compare to predator, and now we have a teenager with string axe that can kick its ass.. Its a bit hard to sell. And I will not mention poor CGI and complete misrepresenting of comanches who lived in American plains not in Nord American forest.

  13. #12313
    Cosmin's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14, 2012
    Location
    Event Horizon
    Posts
    7,963
      Spoiler:
    If you go by what the movie shows she's far from being a Mary Sue. Basically only towards the end does she become quite a lot more confident in herself - up until then she's literally the worst hunter ever. Fails to kill her prey every time, all she manages is maybe weakening the "lion". At the end she pulls from her knowledge - we know she's good at tracking and planning - and these two are the main ways she (barely but convincingly) wins by employing plant knowledge, environmental knowledge and how to bait a sapient hunter 101. Her strong skills are improvising and using the environment and all the tools available to their maximum efficiency. But it takes time to sometimes use what you know - remember we're being shown her practicing and practicing and practicing with the axe. And history tells us that tomahawks were pretty damn lethal weapons in skilled hands. Also remember that the start of the final battle is with the Predator taking a bullet to the back of his head, so he was severely impaired throughout the whole fight.

    Her victory is in line with what the Predator universe (and expanded universe) tells us about why they enjoyed hunting oomans - they are cunning and smart and dangerous even to the Yautja - without being physically a match for a Predator. Basically ooman is considered to be the most dangerous prey there is out there to the Predators (this is besides the Aliens).


    The setting is set on the North American plains in the beginning (literally written on the screen, along with the year) and the film was praised by critics everywhere for the accurate representation of comanches whilst avoiding stereotypes.

    Edit: spoilered for major spoilers.
    Last edited by Cosmin; August 7 2022 at 04:19:59 PM.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

  14. #12314
    Varcaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 15, 2011
    Posts
    21,355
    Quote Originally Posted by Candy Crush View Post
    A much much better predator movie than the previous one. The biggest negative to the story is that the lead character is absolutely a Mary Sue. Scene after scene of other people telling her how great she is at everything, except for the scenes where the evil patriarchy are telling her how bad she is at one specific thing, and of course that thing you find out in the end she's also great at. IMO the reason why first movie was so successful was because we had jacked Arnold and his team of soldiers that looked like strongest that planet Earth can offer, and all of them were kind of harmless compare to predator, and now we have a teenager with string axe that can kick its ass.. Its a bit hard to sell. And I will not mention poor CGI and complete misrepresenting of comanches who lived in American plains not in Nord American forest.
    If i say culture war words I can pretend i have a point.

  15. #12315
    Jack Coutu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 9, 2011
    Location
    marketjacker
    Posts
    3,063
    Mary Sue is just something retards like cc love throwing out ignoring the insanity of Arnold being the only one to even last more than a few seconds against the predator in the first film. Dudes a full on conservative tho so no surprise

  16. #12316
    rufuske's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    4,503
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Coutu View Post
    Mary Sue is just something retards like cc love throwing out ignoring the insanity of Arnold being the only one to even last more than a few seconds against the predator in the first film. Dudes a full on conservative tho so no surprise
    If i say culture war words I can pretend i have a point.

    edit: Unironically can't wait to see the movie.

  17. #12317

    Join Date
    July 3, 2014
    Posts
    6,099
    Prey is a mediocre movie in my opinion, I don't understand the excitement.
    In the meantime, just saw Carter on Netflix, a Korean clone of Bourne with pandemic zombies. A bit too long and the plot was weak, but camera and filming were breathtaking, I had feeling of playing Fair Cry Korean edition.



    Elvis is next on my list, I see a lot of good reviews.

  18. #12318
    Cosmin's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14, 2012
    Location
    Event Horizon
    Posts
    7,963
    Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Coutu View Post
    Mary Sue is just something retards like cc love throwing out ignoring the insanity of Arnold being the only one to even last more than a few seconds against the predator in the first film. Dudes a full on conservative tho so no surprise
    If i say culture war words I can pretend i have a point.

    edit: Unironically can't wait to see the movie.
    I don't think you'll be disappointed. I went in with 0 expectations and a lot of it surprised me pleasantly. It's also pretty graphic and there is a lot that is shown, not told.


    Quote Originally Posted by Candy Crush View Post
    Prey is a mediocre movie in my opinion, I don't understand the excitement.
    Of course you are free to have your own opinion on it even without reading and reflecting on what I wrote on it above
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

  19. #12319

    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Location
    Hollandistan
    Posts
    8,072
    Schopenhauer:

    All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

  20. #12320

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    4,990
    Prey is great. Couple of hickups here and there. The very last minute or so is slightly shit, she is "rewarded" with something she was never shown to want in order to get in a "take THAT, patriarchy". Also, everyone is oddly callous that all their sons are dead. Also also, where the fuck are all the adult males, is the entire tribe just that one dude's harem?

    Lastly some stylistic choices, like having the hunting party be in full warpaint getup all the time. They end up looking like Zoolander trapsing through the woods.

    But overall, 9/10.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •