hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 40 of 40

Thread: CitiesXL Platinum vs SimCity5

  1. #21
    King of the Babe Thread Donor Jolin's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Navi Mumbai
    Posts
    5,514
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacefalm View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 98% Slut View Post
    I cannot speak for CitiesXL, but Sim City, is a very good game. The main reason I think most people don't like it, is just general EA Hate, DRM Hate, and being bad at games.

    It's a true simulation. A lot of people don't get this. They just wanna plop shit down wherever. Citizens have no access to healthcare, the police, education etc. Their city does not flourish. Then they go "WTF THIS SHIT IS BUGGED! FUCK EA!"

    Where you place things matter, streets matter. The subway system matters, having good access to jobs, education, matters. Not being next to pollution matters. Having a place to walk your dog matters, being close to shops so you can get a bite to eat after work or just window shop matters, and traffic is a very big part of this game, anyone who says it's not hasn't played it or ya know...just doesn't give a fuck about their city congestion. People want to build a utopia with only rich people, well sorry, real cities need to address low income housing and address low income needs. All these things actually factor in to the actual functioning of city. A lot of people think its, "buggy" because they can't just put shit wherever they want and expect the city to function. You have a limited amount of space and people say this is bad, but you actually have to meet the needs of an actual city and the amount of space they give you to do that is more than enough and an actual challenge. Most people just wanna plop shit down and see it grow. You have to specialize your cities and then build other adjacent cities that provide what other cities lack. There is no perfect utopia one stop shop city, like ya know...real cities. It's a really fun game. Also since its online you have to adjust to what other people are doing, if you're playing in their region that is. You can't have two gambling cities in the same region. They'll compete for tourism and both cities will suck.

    That shit aside, it is full of extra shit you have to pay for, like electric cars etc, and all this extra dlc is tied to real companies... product placement and all that but whatever, the base game is really fun and in-depth.
    I think you did not play during launch. When people cried that simcity was bugged, they did not mean "my city is shit and i dont know why", they mean ACTUAL bugs.
    A few of note that I still remember:
    Busses/service vehicles looping around the same streets/making congo lines instead of being simulated realisticaly
    Cars being stuck on roads causing infinite duration traffic jam, which you can do nothing about
    Cash gifted between cities being lost forever or duplicated and recieved many times over
    Burning buildings next to firestations not being extinguished while fire trucks did nothing
    Deleting a garage would permanently reduce your max vehicle count by one even if garage was replaced
    Unremovable items/debris left on the floor after removing buildings, became impossible to build there
    Cities not recieving benefits from neighbouring region-wide building effects
    Traffic not simulated properly, always takes shortest distance route regardless of road quality/congestion
    Pedestrians walking round and round in a circle on crossroads causing huge traffic jams for no reason
    Tourism randomly stops working, tourism/gambling based cities were not viable because of this
    Hospitals are useless, citizens are replaced instantly when dead but take forever to reach a hospital and recover
    And the best one: cities randomly become corrupted and/or lost forever, losing hours upon hours of work

    You can say L2P all you want, but if you claim simcity was free of bugs you are just deluding yourself
    There was also the bug feature where a medium or low wealth person would move into a high-wealth house, simply because it was the closest house to his workplace and then immediately start complaining because he can't afford it.

  2. #22

    Join Date
    August 30, 2012
    Posts
    1,535
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolin View Post
    There was also the bug feature where a medium or low wealth person would move into a high-wealth house, simply because it was the closest house to his workplace and then immediately start complaining because he can't afford it.
    that was one of my favorite "wtf" moments - when it came out that their simulation of people had each individual leave home, go to the closest job, leave work, go to the closest house. The results were horrendous, especially for fucking up traffic.

  3. #23

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    NCdot
    Posts
    1,201
    SimCity 4 Deluxe every time. Add Network Addon Mod and other mods to taste.

  4. #24
    Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator whispous's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Mails Tegg > пошел ты на хуй
    Posts
    4,917
    Simcity (5) was and is awful and it should be left to die.

    sent from tefpho e

  5. #25
    dpidcoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 29, 2011
    Location
    San diego
    Posts
    4,908
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolin View Post
    There was also the bug feature where a medium or low wealth person would move into a high-wealth house, simply because it was the closest house to his workplace and then immediately start complaining because he can't afford it.
    Sounds legit to me, this happens in california all the time.
    i heard you're ideas and their definately good

  6. #26

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    918
    I like Anno 2070 for my city building needs.

  7. #27
    98% Slut's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5, 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacefalm View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 98% Slut View Post
    I cannot speak for CitiesXL, but Sim City, is a very good game. The main reason I think most people don't like it, is just general EA Hate, DRM Hate, and being bad at games.

    It's a true simulation. A lot of people don't get this. They just wanna plop shit down wherever. Citizens have no access to healthcare, the police, education etc. Their city does not flourish. Then they go "WTF THIS SHIT IS BUGGED! FUCK EA!"

    Where you place things matter, streets matter. The subway system matters, having good access to jobs, education, matters. Not being next to pollution matters. Having a place to walk your dog matters, being close to shops so you can get a bite to eat after work or just window shop matters, and traffic is a very big part of this game, anyone who says it's not hasn't played it or ya know...just doesn't give a fuck about their city congestion. People want to build a utopia with only rich people, well sorry, real cities need to address low income housing and address low income needs. All these things actually factor in to the actual functioning of city. A lot of people think its, "buggy" because they can't just put shit wherever they want and expect the city to function. You have a limited amount of space and people say this is bad, but you actually have to meet the needs of an actual city and the amount of space they give you to do that is more than enough and an actual challenge. Most people just wanna plop shit down and see it grow. You have to specialize your cities and then build other adjacent cities that provide what other cities lack. There is no perfect utopia one stop shop city, like ya know...real cities. It's a really fun game. Also since its online you have to adjust to what other people are doing, if you're playing in their region that is. You can't have two gambling cities in the same region. They'll compete for tourism and both cities will suck.

    That shit aside, it is full of extra shit you have to pay for, like electric cars etc, and all this extra dlc is tied to real companies... product placement and all that but whatever, the base game is really fun and in-depth.
    I think you did not play during launch. When people cried that simcity was bugged, they did not mean "my city is shit and i dont know why", they mean ACTUAL bugs.
    A few of note that I still remember:
    Busses/service vehicles looping around the same streets/making congo lines instead of being simulated realisticaly
    Cars being stuck on roads causing infinite duration traffic jam, which you can do nothing about
    Cash gifted between cities being lost forever or duplicated and recieved many times over
    Burning buildings next to firestations not being extinguished while fire trucks did nothing
    Deleting a garage would permanently reduce your max vehicle count by one even if garage was replaced
    Unremovable items/debris left on the floor after removing buildings, became impossible to build there
    Cities not recieving benefits from neighbouring region-wide building effects
    Traffic not simulated properly, always takes shortest distance route regardless of road quality/congestion
    Pedestrians walking round and round in a circle on crossroads causing huge traffic jams for no reason
    Tourism randomly stops working, tourism/gambling based cities were not viable because of this
    Hospitals are useless, citizens are replaced instantly when dead but take forever to reach a hospital and recover
    And the best one: cities randomly become corrupted and/or lost forever, losing hours upon hours of work

    You can say L2P all you want, but if you claim simcity was free of bugs you are just deluding yourself
    There was also the bug feature where a medium or low wealth person would move into a high-wealth house, simply because it was the closest house to his workplace and then immediately start complaining because he can't afford it.
    I never said it was bug free. I did play at launch. Everything I said still stands. A lot of the bugs were fixed. And I still think it's a fun game. Just because I don't shit all over the game, does not mean that I'm not aware of it's flaws.

  8. #28
    Steph's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Canadia
    Posts
    9,254
    Quote Originally Posted by 98% Slut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacefalm View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 98% Slut View Post
    I cannot speak for CitiesXL, but Sim City, is a very good game. The main reason I think most people don't like it, is just general EA Hate, DRM Hate, and being bad at games.

    It's a true simulation. A lot of people don't get this. They just wanna plop shit down wherever. Citizens have no access to healthcare, the police, education etc. Their city does not flourish. Then they go "WTF THIS SHIT IS BUGGED! FUCK EA!"

    Where you place things matter, streets matter. The subway system matters, having good access to jobs, education, matters. Not being next to pollution matters. Having a place to walk your dog matters, being close to shops so you can get a bite to eat after work or just window shop matters, and traffic is a very big part of this game, anyone who says it's not hasn't played it or ya know...just doesn't give a fuck about their city congestion. People want to build a utopia with only rich people, well sorry, real cities need to address low income housing and address low income needs. All these things actually factor in to the actual functioning of city. A lot of people think its, "buggy" because they can't just put shit wherever they want and expect the city to function. You have a limited amount of space and people say this is bad, but you actually have to meet the needs of an actual city and the amount of space they give you to do that is more than enough and an actual challenge. Most people just wanna plop shit down and see it grow. You have to specialize your cities and then build other adjacent cities that provide what other cities lack. There is no perfect utopia one stop shop city, like ya know...real cities. It's a really fun game. Also since its online you have to adjust to what other people are doing, if you're playing in their region that is. You can't have two gambling cities in the same region. They'll compete for tourism and both cities will suck.

    That shit aside, it is full of extra shit you have to pay for, like electric cars etc, and all this extra dlc is tied to real companies... product placement and all that but whatever, the base game is really fun and in-depth.
    I think you did not play during launch. When people cried that simcity was bugged, they did not mean "my city is shit and i dont know why", they mean ACTUAL bugs.
    A few of note that I still remember:
    Busses/service vehicles looping around the same streets/making congo lines instead of being simulated realisticaly
    Cars being stuck on roads causing infinite duration traffic jam, which you can do nothing about
    Cash gifted between cities being lost forever or duplicated and recieved many times over
    Burning buildings next to firestations not being extinguished while fire trucks did nothing
    Deleting a garage would permanently reduce your max vehicle count by one even if garage was replaced
    Unremovable items/debris left on the floor after removing buildings, became impossible to build there
    Cities not recieving benefits from neighbouring region-wide building effects
    Traffic not simulated properly, always takes shortest distance route regardless of road quality/congestion
    Pedestrians walking round and round in a circle on crossroads causing huge traffic jams for no reason
    Tourism randomly stops working, tourism/gambling based cities were not viable because of this
    Hospitals are useless, citizens are replaced instantly when dead but take forever to reach a hospital and recover
    And the best one: cities randomly become corrupted and/or lost forever, losing hours upon hours of work

    You can say L2P all you want, but if you claim simcity was free of bugs you are just deluding yourself
    There was also the bug feature where a medium or low wealth person would move into a high-wealth house, simply because it was the closest house to his workplace and then immediately start complaining because he can't afford it.
    I never said it was bug free. I did play at launch. Everything I said still stands. A lot of the bugs were fixed. And I still think it's a fun game. Just because I don't shit all over the game, does not mean that I'm not aware of it's flaws.
    Except every single thing you said about the game in your first post is demonstrably false.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Canadians are usually cooler.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal

  9. #29
    dpidcoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 29, 2011
    Location
    San diego
    Posts
    4,908
    Quote Originally Posted by 98% Slut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacefalm View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 98% Slut View Post
    I cannot speak for CitiesXL, but Sim City, is a very good game. The main reason I think most people don't like it, is just general EA Hate, DRM Hate, and being bad at games.

    It's a true simulation. A lot of people don't get this. They just wanna plop shit down wherever. Citizens have no access to healthcare, the police, education etc. Their city does not flourish. Then they go "WTF THIS SHIT IS BUGGED! FUCK EA!"

    Where you place things matter, streets matter. The subway system matters, having good access to jobs, education, matters. Not being next to pollution matters. Having a place to walk your dog matters, being close to shops so you can get a bite to eat after work or just window shop matters, and traffic is a very big part of this game, anyone who says it's not hasn't played it or ya know...just doesn't give a fuck about their city congestion. People want to build a utopia with only rich people, well sorry, real cities need to address low income housing and address low income needs. All these things actually factor in to the actual functioning of city. A lot of people think its, "buggy" because they can't just put shit wherever they want and expect the city to function. You have a limited amount of space and people say this is bad, but you actually have to meet the needs of an actual city and the amount of space they give you to do that is more than enough and an actual challenge. Most people just wanna plop shit down and see it grow. You have to specialize your cities and then build other adjacent cities that provide what other cities lack. There is no perfect utopia one stop shop city, like ya know...real cities. It's a really fun game. Also since its online you have to adjust to what other people are doing, if you're playing in their region that is. You can't have two gambling cities in the same region. They'll compete for tourism and both cities will suck.

    That shit aside, it is full of extra shit you have to pay for, like electric cars etc, and all this extra dlc is tied to real companies... product placement and all that but whatever, the base game is really fun and in-depth.
    I think you did not play during launch. When people cried that simcity was bugged, they did not mean "my city is shit and i dont know why", they mean ACTUAL bugs.
    A few of note that I still remember:
    Busses/service vehicles looping around the same streets/making congo lines instead of being simulated realisticaly
    Cars being stuck on roads causing infinite duration traffic jam, which you can do nothing about
    Cash gifted between cities being lost forever or duplicated and recieved many times over
    Burning buildings next to firestations not being extinguished while fire trucks did nothing
    Deleting a garage would permanently reduce your max vehicle count by one even if garage was replaced
    Unremovable items/debris left on the floor after removing buildings, became impossible to build there
    Cities not recieving benefits from neighbouring region-wide building effects
    Traffic not simulated properly, always takes shortest distance route regardless of road quality/congestion
    Pedestrians walking round and round in a circle on crossroads causing huge traffic jams for no reason
    Tourism randomly stops working, tourism/gambling based cities were not viable because of this
    Hospitals are useless, citizens are replaced instantly when dead but take forever to reach a hospital and recover
    And the best one: cities randomly become corrupted and/or lost forever, losing hours upon hours of work

    You can say L2P all you want, but if you claim simcity was free of bugs you are just deluding yourself
    There was also the bug feature where a medium or low wealth person would move into a high-wealth house, simply because it was the closest house to his workplace and then immediately start complaining because he can't afford it.
    I never said it was bug free. I did play at launch. Everything I said still stands. A lot of the bugs were fixed. And I still think it's a fun game. Just because I don't shit all over the game, does not mean that I'm not aware of it's flaws.
    Hels, it that you?
    i heard you're ideas and their definately good

  10. #30
    98% Slut's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5, 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by ruiner View Post
    Which is the better game for casual play? I'm leaning CitiesXL but I'm not sure it's a solid game based upon what I've read.
    Yes well.

    I was simply trying to say that I'm very aware that this is a polarizing game. Me and mates have a lot of fun when we play it and its cool to see what others come up with and we have fun working together to make a cohesive region. There are bugs granted but nothing that I personally feel to be game breaking. I actually enjoyed coming up with new ways to make a working city and ways to make your city still flourish knowing how certain things will operate. I liked that, but I also like very challenging games. I suggest if you have a passing interest in this game that you watch a couple Let's Plays and building tutorials. They contain a lot of interesting tips and tricks that get around things that might seem frustrating to some. Having a productive city, I found, takes a lot of planning ahead. Setting up a large portion of your cities road infrastructure before you've even designated a single zone, for example. But again, that's the kind of thing that I enjoy and it might not suite everyone.

    Also, be warned. Don't expect this game to be like any of the previous Sim Cities, it's very different, another reason I suspect it garnered some of it's disdain, since the previous Sim Cities, were fun and well made games in their own right.

  11. #31
    Lana Torrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    Bonding around
    Posts
    19,675
    Option 5 (4 being sim city 4) is do what the rest of us are doing and wait for Banished.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

  12. #32
    Pacefalm's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    6,383
    Maybe derailed the thread a bit too much toward "lets hate on simcity again", was not the intention.

    Quote Originally Posted by 98% Slut View Post
    I never said it was bug free. I did play at launch. Everything I said still stands. A lot of the bugs were fixed. And I still think it's a fun game. Just because I don't shit all over the game, does not mean that I'm not aware of it's flaws.
    Fair enough... I never really gave it a chance after launch so I suppose I am not up to date with which issues have already been resolved etc.. I just felt I had to respond since it seemed to me like you were blaming the players for Simcity's faults. If you enjoy the game then more power to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    I'm doing my best. Well. Not really.

  13. #33
    Me's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Location
    The land down under.
    Posts
    7,333
    Had Cities in Motion since beta, and while enjoyable every now and then it's never really hooked me. It just feels as if it's missing something, I can't put my finger on what though.

    Does the sequel add much?

  14. #34
    Lana Torrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    Bonding around
    Posts
    19,675
    Quote Originally Posted by Me View Post
    Had Cities in Motion since beta, and while enjoyable every now and then it's never really hooked me. It just feels as if it's missing something, I can't put my finger on what though.

    Does the sequel add much?
    It looks pretty? Not really its pretty much the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

  15. #35
    Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator whispous's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Mails Tegg > пошел ты на хуй
    Posts
    4,917
    IMO CiM2 is uglier but much better optimised.

    sent from tefpho e

  16. #36
    rojomojo915's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    1,645
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhaegor Stormborn View Post
    I like Anno 2070 for my city building needs.
    This

  17. #37

    Join Date
    August 30, 2012
    Posts
    1,535
    For what it's worth, Cities in Motion 2 just got added to the current humble bundle and can be yours for under $5.

  18. #38
    Smuggo
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Victoria Steckersaurus View Post
    For what it's worth, Cities in Motion 2 just got added to the current humble bundle and can be yours for under $5.
    Yeah, i saw that, think I might as well give it a go.

  19. #39
    alcibiades's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Posts
    211
    Sim city was trash on release, 98%'s review sounds like one of the paid off critic's reviews - bullshit.


    In depth!

  20. #40
    Frug's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    13,869
    Quote Originally Posted by 98% Slut View Post
    I was simply trying to say that I'm very aware that this is a polarizing game.
    Except that you said that the reason people complained about it was that it was too difficult and in depth for them, even though every single complaint i ever heard by anyone about that game was because it was a buggy pile of shit at launch. I suspect it's still a pile of poo mostly because your posting is bad.

    Anyway, cities XL games are a little bland and my totally biased and unscientific assessment of it is that it's devoid of love. I bought it a while back (before it went platinum on steam) because it was advertised as having an online component which they had removed without really telling anyone clearly. There was supposed to be some sort of online world where your city could trade with other cities or something but they canned it. It's not a bad game and can be pretty in parts I guess.

    Some parts are actually a bit lacking in depth as well imo. Like there are all these housing bundles that used to be DLC but then became part of the core game, and they make housing look different, but nothing actually does anything. A lot of the features seem to be that way. Stuff looks different but doesn't seem to affect anything.

    I suppose I secretly desire the ability to set everything on fire or summon an alien to stomp all over it, and the game has nothing like that.
    Last edited by Frug; December 11 2013 at 06:36:27 PM.

    Quote Originally Posted by Loire
    I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •