hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CitiesXL Platinum vs SimCity5

CitiesXL Platinum vs SimCity5

Which is the better game for casual play? I'm leaning CitiesXL but I'm not sure it's a solid game based upon what I've read.

Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator whispous's Avatar
    If you buy SimCity you validate their terrible development and customer care

Pretty much anything is better than simcity 5.

Not SimCity 5. Not sure if the other is good, but fuck SimCity 5 and fuck EA.

CitiesXL is better for casual play because it doesn't require a constant internet connection.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Canadians are usually cooler.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal

Simcity 4 Deluxe Edition

Sounds like my inclination to NOT send money to EA was well deserved. I might do SimCity4. Probably cheap too

Quote Originally Posted by ruiner View Post
    Sounds like my inclination to NOT send money to EA was well deserved. I might do SimCity4. Probably cheap too
    IIRC I picked it up for like 4 dollars on the last christmas sale.

On a serious note; I've heard various things about CitiesXL and the general consensus is that you shouldn't really expect simcity, its more about solving traffic & congestion problems then building up a city.

One might argue that solving traffic and congestion problems is a key element to city planning.

Oh indeed, its just more along the lines of You are the Department of Transportation for a city; instead of some omnipotent force that controls everything. Atleast thats how it was explained to me, I've never played CitiesXL

Still, it's an aspect that SimCity5 most certainly lacks.

Sim City 5 = Sim Village with broken gameplay and lackluster "simulation"
    CitiesXL = Nice grafics and decent map sizes but very basic simulation and technical problems (memleaks)
    Cities in Motion = Traffic Manager with good reviews, didnt play it thou...
    Think kawaii thoughts and sugoi things will happen to you!

Sim city 5 is flawed every way imaginable. CitiesXL is flawed every way imaginable without needing an internet connection.

I cannot speak for CitiesXL, but Sim City, is a very good game. The main reason I think most people don't like it, is just general EA Hate, DRM Hate, and being bad at games.

It's a true simulation. A lot of people don't get this. They just wanna plop shit down wherever. Citizens have no access to healthcare, the police, education etc. Their city does not flourish. Then they go "WTF THIS SHIT IS BUGGED! FUCK EA!"

Where you place things matter, streets matter. The subway system matters, having good access to jobs, education, matters. Not being next to pollution matters. Having a place to walk your dog matters, being close to shops so you can get a bite to eat after work or just window shop matters, and traffic is a very big part of this game, anyone who says it's not hasn't played it or ya know...just doesn't give a fuck about their city congestion. People want to build a utopia with only rich people, well sorry, real cities need to address low income housing and address low income needs. All these things actually factor in to the actual functioning of city. A lot of people think its, "buggy" because they can't just put shit wherever they want and expect the city to function. You have a limited amount of space and people say this is bad, but you actually have to meet the needs of an actual city and the amount of space they give you to do that is more than enough and an actual challenge. Most people just wanna plop shit down and see it grow. You have to specialize your cities and then build other adjacent cities that provide what other cities lack. There is no perfect utopia one stop shop city, like ya know...real cities. It's a really fun game. Also since its online you have to adjust to what other people are doing, if you're playing in their region that is. You can't have two gambling cities in the same region. They'll compete for tourism and both cities will suck.

That shit aside, it is full of extra shit you have to pay for, like electric cars etc, and all this extra dlc is tied to real companies... product placement and all that but whatever, the base game is really fun and in-depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry View Post
    Sim City 5 = Sim Village with broken gameplay and lackluster "simulation"
    CitiesXL = Nice grafics and decent map sizes but very basic simulation and technical problems (memleaks)
    Cities in Motion = Traffic Manager with good reviews, didnt play it thou...
    I have the last 2.

CitiesXL was OK, but the 2012 edition, 2013edition, platinum edition were all just content packs and none addresses the (at some times) crippling bugs. Its never going to get a bug fix pass, that much is clear.

Cities in Motion is basically a transit system simulator rather than a city building game. You pretty much don't build the city although you can mess about with the roads and such. Its fun but I found it pretty slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

both are several forms of anal cancer
    too soon

Quote Originally Posted by 98% Slut View Post
    I cannot speak for CitiesXL, but Sim City, is a very good game. The main reason I think most people don't like it, is just general EA Hate, DRM Hate, and being bad at games.

It's a true simulation. A lot of people don't get this. They just wanna plop shit down wherever. Citizens have no access to healthcare, the police, education etc. Their city does not flourish. Then they go "WTF THIS SHIT IS BUGGED! FUCK EA!"

Where you place things matter, streets matter. The subway system matters, having good access to jobs, education, matters. Not being next to pollution matters. Having a place to walk your dog matters, being close to shops so you can get a bite to eat after work or just window shop matters, and traffic is a very big part of this game, anyone who says it's not hasn't played it or ya know...just doesn't give a fuck about their city congestion. People want to build a utopia with only rich people, well sorry, real cities need to address low income housing and address low income needs. All these things actually factor in to the actual functioning of city. A lot of people think its, "buggy" because they can't just put shit wherever they want and expect the city to function. You have a limited amount of space and people say this is bad, but you actually have to meet the needs of an actual city and the amount of space they give you to do that is more than enough and an actual challenge. Most people just wanna plop shit down and see it grow. You have to specialize your cities and then build other adjacent cities that provide what other cities lack. There is no perfect utopia one stop shop city, like ya know...real cities. It's a really fun game. Also since its online you have to adjust to what other people are doing, if you're playing in their region that is. You can't have two gambling cities in the same region. They'll compete for tourism and both cities will suck.

That shit aside, it is full of extra shit you have to pay for, like electric cars etc, and all this extra dlc is tied to real companies... product placement and all that but whatever, the base game is really fun and in-depth.
    lulz, nice job copying the game description but Simcity barely simulates anything, it does a nice job and giving the illusion that it does but the entire glassbox engine is basically bullshit and up until a few months was horrendously broken. (Havent tried it since then)

Heres 4 steps to winning simcity 5:
    Create one long "s shaped" road through your plot.
    Zone 20% shopping, 40% residential & industry
    Spread police, hospital, firestations
    Go AFK.

Simcity 5 is the 2nd worst game i ever paid money for. At least they gave me simcity 4 for free to compensate for the server issues ^_^

CitiesXL is not the worst game I've played, but there are more opportunities in SC4 through well-established modding communities. CitiesXL is very easy, but its size allows you to do a lot more than you can even hope for in SC5. Definitely the more rewarding option for your creativity and in terms of replayability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Don
    ^robsably aboujt to throw up so goood night failheap IU love you all even you ctrlchris even iuf you keep bnegrrepping me for no reason

neither

if you want a real freeform city builder, go for cities in motion 2. sure its about public transportation, but you can still build amazing as shit cities

citiesxl is just a weird game

Quote Originally Posted by 98% Slut View Post

I think you did not play during launch. When people cried that simcity was bugged, they did not mean "my city is shit and i dont know why", they mean ACTUAL bugs.
    A few of note that I still remember:
    Busses/service vehicles looping around the same streets/making congo lines instead of being simulated realisticaly
    Cars being stuck on roads causing infinite duration traffic jam, which you can do nothing about
    Cash gifted between cities being lost forever or duplicated and recieved many times over
    Burning buildings next to firestations not being extinguished while fire trucks did nothing
    Deleting a garage would permanently reduce your max vehicle count by one even if garage was replaced
    Unremovable items/debris left on the floor after removing buildings, became impossible to build there
    Cities not recieving benefits from neighbouring region-wide building effects
    Traffic not simulated properly, always takes shortest distance route regardless of road quality/congestion
    Pedestrians walking round and round in a circle on crossroads causing huge traffic jams for no reason
    Tourism randomly stops working, tourism/gambling based cities were not viable because of this
    Hospitals are useless, citizens are replaced instantly when dead but take forever to reach a hospital and recover
    And the best one: cities randomly become corrupted and/or lost forever, losing hours upon hours of work

You can say L2P all you want, but if you claim simcity was free of bugs you are just deluding yourself
    I'm doing my best. Well. Not really.