hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 283536373839 LastLast

Thread: EVE Valkyrie (aka EVR)

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    People who played at fanfest seem to think its amazing.

My concerns are - for extended play sweaty as fuck headset, and in for energetic play broken furniture just outside play-area.

The concept of playing VR sports games confuses me. If you're gonna move around and do actual exercise why not just do the actual sport instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Foiritain View Post
    The concept of playing VR sports games confuses me. If you're gonna move around and do actual exercise why not just do the actual sport instead?
    Lol, i would have to agree with you on this.

phpBB : Critical Error
    Could not connect to the database

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Foiritain View Post
    Let's have a game of ping pong

I'll wait while you travel 500km and check in to your hotel
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

I'm old and slow, btw. You should win p. Easily. That's why you'll be paying for a flight and accommodation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    People who played at fanfest seem to think its amazing. My concerns are - for extended play sweaty as fuck headset, and in for energetic play broken furniture just outside play-area.
    I don't know if I'd say "amazing", or at least I wouldn't call it that if I tried it today. It's been nearly 12 months and a shit ton of other VR games have come along that offer excellent experiences that just weren't a thing when I first tried Project Arena/Sparc. "Amazing" last Fanfest would just be "pretty cool" to me right now.

They look to be going hard with the competitive aspect though which is clear from the promo trailer, and I'm to understand they're including particularly robust support for VR spectators right out of the gate so I guess they're banking on it becoming the first real VR esport. The challenge for CCP then is to make a game that is accessible for casuals so that is has a decent audience for tournaments but still has a high enough skill ceiling to make peak competitive play exciting. Working in their favour is that the game would pretty easy to grasp for a casual Twitch viewer - it's two people in a tunnel throwing stuff at each other - a lot easier to understand than, say, Starcraft.

As for the sweaty/energetic play thing, this is something that VR users are already getting accustomed to with a lot of titles that are out there. People have largely figured out the "don't wreck the furniture while playing VR" thing as well. Oculus and Vive both need to do some work with their headsets in terms of comfort with prolonged usage. I would expect the next iteration of their HMDs to be more like Sony's where it sits on your head as opposed to being strapped to your face. Right now the biggest issue imo is the fact that HMDs are tethered by video and data cables, but there are already wireless mods for the Vive out there and I wouldn't be surprised if the next generation of VR hardware is completely wireless.

I think people need to start giving CCP some credit for their successes, too. Valkyrie is going well and Gunjack is the biggest selling mobile VR game.

TRIGGER WARNING: I say something positive about CCP below.

Contrary to the prevailing narrative that is regularly espoused on here and elsewhere, turns out CCP might actually be really competent and know what they're doing.
    Last edited by Bam Stroker; March 4 2017 at 01:07:27 PM. Reason: accidentally several word
    EVE Down Under - a community for players in the AUTZ
    In-game channel: evedownunder // Twitter // Facebook // www.evedownunder.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bam Stroker View Post

TRIGGER WARNING: I say something positive about CCP below.

Contrary to the prevailing narrative that is regularly espoused on here and elsewhere, turns out CCP might actually be really competent and know what they're doing.
    My Attorney has advised me to remove my new signature until further notice...

Risky claim, I know. My post hasn't been negrepped yet so I assume it's either flown under the radar or bittervets are ~literally shaking~ with rage so hard they can't get the mouse pointer to stay still over the rep button.

Last edited by Bam Stroker; March 7 2017 at 03:51:02 AM.
    EVE Down Under - a community for players in the AUTZ
    In-game channel: evedownunder // Twitter // Facebook // www.evedownunder.com

Risky claim, I know. My post hasn't been negrepped yet so I assume it's either flown under the radar or bittervets are ~literally shaking~ with rage so hard they can't get the mouse pointer to stay still over the rep button.

I mean they have had a decade to learn

Next expansion: Groundrush. This latest map adds atmospheric combat, which should prove interesting.

Tranquility (EVE) Influence Map
    Life is absurd, but with a little effort we can make it completely ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by Verite Rendition View Post
    Next expansion: Groundrush. This latest map adds atmospheric combat, which should prove interesting.

Are the flight mechanics supposed to be different, or is it just "space with a really big obstical"?

Space with a really big obstacle (and tunnels/hangars, it seems).

Just wondering. A lot of other space fighter arcade sims from the past that did space and atmospheric missions changed the flight handling by adding extra damping, etc.

I'm thinking back to Colony Wars on PS1

https://www.evevalkyrie.com/articles...-notes-2017_r3

New patch. Adds an ultra quality mode for the latest generation of video cards (much better lighting in several areas), along with rebalancing some of the ship classes.

"Today CCP Games release an Ultra graphics mode for EVE: Valkyrie that greatly enriches and enhances graphical fidelity and immersion. The new level of graphics quality is made possible with the support for NVIDIA VRWorks technologies and NVIDIA GameWorks graphics techniques.

EVE: Valkyrie is a multiplayer dogfighting shooter game set in the EVE Online universe that is designed to use virtual reality headsets. It uses NVIDIA’s Lens Matched Shading rendering technique to improve performance and quality enabling GeForce gamers to enjoy Ultra mode at smooth, consistent framerates.

A lighting model developed by NVIDIA and incorporated by CCP for EVE: Valkyrie uses high-quality, physically-based lighting effects from NVIDIA Volumetric Lighting to add immersive, awe-inspiring shafts of bright light (God rays) to many scenes and levels, transforming their appearance.

EVE: Valkyrie also includes a new anti-aliasing technique developed by NVIDIA called Multi-Sample G-Buffer Anti-Aliasing which improves anti-aliasing by further reducing visible aliasing of geometry edges and specular highlights, giving players a superior visual experience.

Ultra mode also enhances cockpit lighting, improving the fidelity of shiny, specular surfaces, increasing the quality of lighting and shadowing in every area and level, improves the fidelity of reflections and shaders, and adds dynamic lights to projectiles.

Together, these enhancements and technologies deliver a more realistic visual experience, closer to what you expect in reality, increasing your immersion and sense of presence. Ultra mode is available in the latest update to EVE: Valkyrie."
    Last edited by Verite Rendition; July 13 2017 at 01:37:15 PM.

I got this yesterday and it's fucking amazing

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    I'm old and slow, btw. You should win p. Easily. That's why you'll be paying for a flight and accommodation.
    Why would you do that. That's sort of the entire premise of his argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerdrak View Post
    I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but NVIDIA VRWorks stuff tends to be pretty impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Verite Rendition View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerdrak View Post
    I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but NVIDIA VRWorks stuff tends to be pretty impressive.
    I've tried almost every other available spaceship cockpit game available for VR and Valkyrie is the best of all, at least from the point of view of comfort. While Elite Dangerous and The House of the dying sun make my eyes feel tired after a few minutes of gameplay, Eve Valkyrie feels smoother even with all the maneuvering and dogfighting. Played 2 hours straight yesterday.

If, and I mean IF, I decided to go for this, would PS4 Pro add anything generally speaking and is that upgrade PC only (as I expect being NVIDIA and all)?

And would Sonys VR be ok here, I believe somewhere in this thread there was a post that mentioned that (back then) Sonys was the better choice for Valk?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar

Well, as long as your mate isnt noncing kids he wont get the rep.