hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 27 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Starbound - Beta Starts Dec 4th!

Starbound - Beta Starts Dec 4th!

Current server details.
    Server address: 37.10.101.185:21025
    Server account: [leave empty]
    Server pw: [leave empty]

http://playstarbound.com/

About

Starbound is a brand new game undergoing active development by Chucklefish, an indie game company made up of a lovely group of dudes and dudettes. If you like what you see, please feel free to leave a comment or tell your friends. We hope this blog can be an insight into the trials and tribulations of the development process, the people behind the game, and what we hope to achieve.
    A story within a sandbox

Starbound begins with you fleeing your homeworld in a space shuttle, just as it’s destroyed by an unknown enemy. With nothing to guide it, the escape pod shoots into space without direction, becoming hopelessly lost in a sea of stars. As luck would have it, the space shuttle makes contact with an abandoned space station and an adventure begins that will take you hurtling across the universe. Starbound contains both quests and story driven missions, buried inside its vast sandbox universe.
    The Space Station

The space station in Starbound is sprawling and full of potential. Throughout your travels you’ll find ways to upgrade and repair it, restoring it to its former glory. You’ll need to find a crew, conduct research, catch rare creatures, and unlock its multitude of facilities. From a factory capable of producing mechs to labs where captured enemies can be studied and trained, the space station contains everything you need to explore the universe.

Endless Planets to visit

Planets in Starbound are entirely procedurally generated and filled to the brim with unique content. We went into the planet generation with one simple goal: no two planets should be the same. By procedurally generating even the smallest details, we’re doing just that. Not only is the terrain of the planet procedurally generated, but the weather, the gravity, the difficulty level, the plant life, the behaviour and appearance of alien creatures, and much more all contain random or procedurally generated elements.
    We want you to feel like an explorer!

Because we’re working so hard to make each planet unique, we want to give you the tools to catalogue the things you find and make sure absolutely everything you find has depth in the world. Much like old school point and click adventures, absolutely every object in the world, right down to the trees and flowers, can be examined for a description.

See a weird alien tree? Examine it! Maybe you’ll discover something about its use! For any explorer, sharing discoveries is important. So whilst the game is fully coop (Bring your friends along! Form an expedition!) you can also record your findings in an electronic logbook. Not only that, but each and every planet has unique coordinates in the Universe that you can share online, so other players can check out exactly what you found!

Finding a new home

Exploring is wonderful, but everyone needs a place to call their own. That’s why we’re letting you claim an entire planet!

When you claim a planet as your new homeworld, a whole new aspect of gameplay opens up. Everything that makes a planet unique is at your command. Feel like changing the weather? Build a weather centre! Don’t like the terrain? Terraform it! Every aspect of the planet is under your control. Once you’re happy with it, start populating it with characters you’ve met in your travels and take care of them! They’ll have needs and desires and won’t hesitate to ask for your help if they require assistance.

This is only just scratching the surface of what we have in store for you in Starbound.

Make sure to visit often for news updates, reveals of new features, and other goodies.

We’ll be announcing more exciting features on the dev blog soon, so stay tuned!
    http://playstarbound.com/store/

fucking buy it now
    Last edited by Hels; January 30 2015 at 05:24:08 PM.
    need me?, contact me on Discord (entrox#0001) or via e-mail (entrox@failheap-challenge.com).

ehhhh, $15 and I'm drunk, why not.

So... sci-fi Terraria?

Quote Originally Posted by James Lyrus
    they send you a pedometer, and set you daily activity targets
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    There's no fucking way I'm googling '12" Hero'

Looks good. Multiplayer?

EDIT: To answer myself, yes. Aaaaand bought.
    Last edited by DaneJa; April 13 2013 at 05:43:39 AM.

Buying tonight

I'm only really interested in the multiplayer, so hopefully there'll be an FHC server or two up. Apparently there's a director multiplayer mode too. That could be p. badass.

Damn this looks good. I'll pick it up on Monday after I get to the bank.

-O
    Last edited by Ophichius; April 13 2013 at 08:11:41 AM.
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those Thukkers, that way I wouldn't have to have any goddamn stupid useless conversations with anybody.
    Failing the Voight-Kampff test, one tortoise at a time.

I'm really lazy and also at work. Am I looking at a space Terraria?
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Pastry.. That the best you can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by NotXenosis View Post

M8, i have discussions that spam multiple accounts, you aren't even on my level

Their store appears to be down
    Putin 2012

Anyone can give a review?
    When I see a bird that walks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck id call it a duck.
    And if the bird denies to be a duck it is a russian duck.

No beta yet. If they launch that, i'll buy in, not before.

It's preorder, so no review yet. Looks like space Terraria with different races, NPCs that are more than walking vending machines, randomly generated lifeforms and missions, and multiple planets.

-O
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those Thukkers, that way I wouldn't have to have any goddamn stupid useless conversations with anybody.

Super Maderator DonorGlobal Moderator Hels's Avatar
    Got it.

There's 4-pack deals so you should bro up with bros.

Is this being made by the same folks who did Terraria? Just because it looks similar doesn't mean it will actually be as good.

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria Steckersaurus View Post
    Is this being made by the same folks who did Terraria? Just because it looks similar doesn't mean it will actually be as good.
    I believe two of the devs worked on Terraria.

Just watching various gameplay videos/previews that are up, I'm inclined to believe they've learned from their mistakes. If you watch the movement in some of the vids, they appear to have single-block step-up, which is a huge movement improvement. Creature and weapon generation is supposed to be entirely procedural, by everything available so far it appears to be Terraria++

-O

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FatFreddy View Post
    i'm really lazy and also at work. am i looking at a space terraria?
    I need a good intermediate altitude for my space station.

and yes, there will be a FHC server
    need me?, contact me on Discord (entrox#0001) or via e-mail (entrox@failheap-challenge.com).

i bought a 4 pack and all my friends bought 4 packs =/

I'd be in on a 4-pack, username is pewe3455 on Steam, name is Fortior. Can PM me here as well
    Real men pvp in barges.

Quote Originally Posted by Amantus View Post
    good to see that Fortior seems like a decent bloke and isn't a gay fat faggot nerd despite his pony avatar